I am glad there are so many fun jobs to apply for! I've been job searching since July 16th. I started by reviewing every job posting currently listed on the DWS website within 30 miles of my zipcode. There are usually about 6,000 to sift through and more get added every day. I usually find about 1 in a hundred that apply to my field, and about half of those are at a pay that I'm willing to apply for. I applied for at least 35 jobs that way. Now that I've gotten up to date on that, and only review about 300 new ones that get posted each day, I've gleaned the state jobs website and am on to nonprofit jobs website. Salt Lake City really is the place to be in Utah for a prolithic amount of jobs in my field. There may be more professionals to compete with in this valley, but I still feel like my odds are better.
The ones I applied for today are: Outreach and Volunteer Projects Coordinator with the United Way, Volunteer Coordinator for a museum called The Leonardo, and a Youth Clinician for the Volunteers of America. With re-writing a cover letter for each applicaton and custom tuning my resume to each position, 2 a day is my goal, and 3 is about all I can handle and believe that I'll be able to keep job searching for the long haul.
When I first started Job Searching, I was worried that I might only find jobs that relate to being a therapist. I'm plenty good at it, but I definitely prefer community work more. That's why I went into the field. There are plenty of Therapist/Counselor/Clinician jobs to apply for, but I've also applied for plenty of community related positions. Over 8 jobs just for this type of Volunteer Coordinator work! I LOVE IT!! I've already been rejected for 3 of the ones I applied for with this title, but that was mostly just because I found them too late, or they had hired in house or something. Compared to others like me, I'm definately a good candidate.
I am grateful for training as an employment counselor to be able to put together informed and confident resumes and cover letters. I am grateful to have two letters of reference on file to be able to attatch to any application which requests them. I am grateful to have had professional connections who will vouch for me in that way. I am grateful for more professional connections I've made in the last year which I can add to that list. I am grateful to be me. It feels confident.
No comments:
Post a Comment