I have a pretty sweet situation at church. In the last 8 months, my husband and I have successfully been orchestrating a young couples' Sunday school separate from the 80 person lecture that is offered downstairs. Not to put them down, which I have the bad habit of doing repeatedly, the two teachers down there have a lot of knowledge and put a lot of time and effort into their lessons. Other than the fact that that teaching method just really isn't my style, the new couples which move into the ward have no way to get to know people in that mass of bodies with no conversation. And then they stop coming... which ends the option of getting to know people at church.
My husband and I started suggesting the idea for a separate Sunday school class last fall, and the suggestion was accepted with support. Other than being grateful for that support, or a group of church leaders who are willing to give it a try, for the fact that it has gone on for so long with a fair amount of success, and that the young couples (age 19-35) who attend are more than happy to converse and participate, I am grateful that last week it was my turn to teach.
We talked about the resurrection. The lesson covered Luke 24, and supplemented with several other Gospel insights, but we spent the entire time discussing the questions "What is resurrection? Why is it a blessing?" (those two questions alone made for great discussion for the first 15 minutes) "How does the resurrection and the atonement support you in your challenges and grief in daily life? How do you follow the example of Mary and look away from the empty tomb to the Savior? What personal experiences have you had to let you know that Christ lives?"
It was amazing. Everything a group of Christian worshipers coming together should be. I am grateful I was there. I am grateful to have learned skills in my life to motivate introspective discussion. I am grateful to have been inspired by the Holy Spirit in my lesson planning and during the follow through. I am grateful for the confidence the Holy Spirit's companionship offers me. I am grateful for amazing lesson plan guides offered by the Church. I am grateful for the 15 people who were there with me who came ready to share. It was wonderful.
No comments:
Post a Comment